Story by | Xie Yihui, she/her, Editor in Chief
Photo credit | Edge of Existence
Is cereal soup? Why or why not?
- Maurice: Sure. I mean, it is liquid with some stuff in it.
- Carissa: Is that the scientific answer, Maurice?
- Maurice: I mean I’m trying to think about what [is classified as] soup. That’s what scientists do.
- Carissa: I think you drink it with a bowl and you use the spoon, so yes.
Should you bite or lick your ice cream?
- Carissa: Lick.
- Maurice: Why not both? It depends on how you feel that day. Sometimes I feel like biting, sometimes licking.
- Carissa: I think if it’s smooth ice cream, you can lick, but if it’s an ice cream that’s got bits in it, then you can bite into it. Like Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough.
What kind of secret society would you like to start?
- Carissa: Can I join a secret society? I would like to join those 90s Hong Kong gangs as they are portrayed on the film, not the real ones. They go to the street and wreak havoc.
- Maurice: I know too much about Hong Kong gangsters, so no.
Is peeling chicken nuggets justifiable?
- Maurice: I know people peel chicken skin so I see that for chicken nuggets as well.
- Carissa: I don’t know. I am vegan.
- Maurice: I am pretty sure there are vegan chicken nuggets, right?
- Carissa: Then no. The skin is the best part.
If you could replace all of the grass in the world with something else, what would it be and why?
- Carissa: I like it. I wouldn’t.
- Maurice: I would say fake grass. As a plant biologist, I know the importance of its ecological function but I like the look as well. Well, of course [it] won’t have the ecological functions so it probably won’t work.
Is Pad Thai a Thai version of Char Kway Teow?
- Carissa: No. In my head, Char Kway Teow has cockles in it, but Pad Thai cannot have cockles.
- Maurice: It is just seafood, right? Pad Thai can have seafood. I don’t care, all that fried stuff for me is the same.
- Carissa: I think, also, the width of the rice noodles for Pad Thai is way thinner than Char Kway Teow.
- Maurice: Fairs. I mean they are just variations of the same thing, like Hong Kong has its version of Beef Hor Fun.
- Carissa: No… I am protective of Char Kway Teow.
If animals could talk, which species would be the rudest of them all?
- Maurice: Humans.
- Carissa: Tapirs. I just went to the zoo and I could not find it so I feel that it was hiding from me. It has very sneaky eyes so it looks like it’s trying to side-eye you all the time. [It might be the rudest] if it speaks with you… It might not even speak with you.
What is the worst thing that a person can put on their bio on a dating app?
- Carissa: Inappropriate emojis like 🖕. Or a pretentious quotation from someone—you are hiding behind a persona.
- Maurice: I don’t know because different people like different things. And I lack experience.
- Carissa: You can use imagination to make up for the lack of experience, Maurice.
- Maurice: That’s the thing, I lack imagination AND experience. Maybe a weird hair color? But I also have a weird hair color XD.