Story by | The Octant
Photo credit | Dave Stanfield (he/him), Cory Owen (she/her); collage by: Darren Ang (he/him)
Is tea soup?
- Cory: I love these questions. Is tea soup? I would say yes because if you have a soup with bay leaves you would consider it soup. A soup doesn’t have to have a solid in there to be soup. [For example,] Tomato bisque.
- Dave: No, definitely not. No.
Is it pronounced “mod reg” or “mod rej?”
- Dave: So the answer is: Everyone says “mod reg” but now that you’ve raised the question, that’s completely wrong…
- Cory: I’ve never heard it, so I have no opinion on this.
Is ravioli a dumpling?
- Cory: Yes.
- Dave: You should ask an Italian.
Which way should you hold a banana?
- Dave: I was raised to open from the stem, and then later in life someone—I don’t remember who—taught me that it was much easier from the bottom, so I switched.
- Cory: Yeah, me too.
Do you have to wash your legs in the shower?
- Cory: I thought a lot. I remember that one came around again and I said no. I used to do “Question of the Month” in my last office and I would have way too much fun. We would vote with pushpins, so you have a visual and it is very decisive.
- Dave: This is mind-blowing … I’ve never thought of that! Yes, but only because that’s all I’ve ever done.
Is figure skating watersports?
- Dave: I say no because I grew up in Texas. It must involve an actual body of water.
- Cory: No, because I can’t swim but I can ice skate.
Is a taco a sandwich?
- Dave: Definitely not.
Does a straw have one hole or two holes?
- David: That’s a mind-bender. [Avoids answering.]
- Cory: I’m a contrarian, so I always say the opposite of what the person says. I would say there are two holes, though. I can see the argument from both sides.
Is cake a fancy bread?
- Cory: Yes. Great British Bake Off—that’s all it is.
- Dave: I think those are different categories.
- Cory: I think you should do this with your kids. Do straws have two holes or one hole? Are tacos sandwiches?